Complimentary Academic Regalia
Complimentary caps and gowns are available for bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degree graduates. For those members of the Class of 2020 who did not obtain their caps and gowns last Spring, you can place an order online with the UVA Bookstore starting on Thursday, April 1. Once the Bookstore has confirmed your order, you will be notified (via email) when your order is ready to be picked up. The deadline to place an order will be 5 p.m. on Wednesday, April 21.
Distribution for online orders will be Monday, April 12 – Saturday, April 24. The Bookstore will notify you of your pickup time directly, within the following hours:
- Monday – Friday: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Saturday: 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
*IMPORTANT: Due to safety concerns, walk-ins are not permitted. Please contact Teresa Hammond if you have questions or concerns about your scheduled pickup time.
For those who can't pick up their cap and gown by April 24, caps and gowns will be distributed from the Bookstore on the following dates:
- Friday, May 14: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Saturday, May 15: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Sunday, May 16: 8 a.m. - 10 a.m.
You will need to present a valid ID (Driver's license, passport, or UVA ID) at the time of pickup.
Each student will receive ONE complimentary cap, gown, and tassel. If you need to order a replacement, there will be a small fee. These "one-way" caps and gowns do not need to be returned; they may be retained as keepsakes.
Doctoral Students Only
Purchasing UVA Custom Regalia: For doctoral degree graduates who wish to purchase custom regalia, the order deadline is 5 p.m. on Friday, March 26. Graduates have the option of purchasing any/all of the following:
- Academic Gown - UVA's custom gown is navy and includes two velvet panels on the front of the gown, each adorned with an orange Rotunda, and velvet chevrons with orange cording on the sleeves.
- Academic Hood - Academic hoods are designed to represent your degree/discipline (the velvet trim) as well as your alma mater (the satin lining). UVA hoods contain a navy and orange satin lining. The color of the velvet trim is dictated by your specific degree/discipline.
- Tam - UVA tams are navy blue 6-cornered velvet with a 2-buttoned tassel.
For questions about purchased regalia, please email Teresa Hammond.
Darden, Law, And Medicine Students
Since Finals 2020 will not be held on May 28-30, 2021, academic regalia will not be available for Darden, Law, and Medicine (Doctor of Medicine) graduates at this time. If you have questions, please contact your school directly.
Last Updated: April 22, 2021